Heads On Sticks & Ventriloquists

The prodigious writings of a tortured genius.

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Standing by Decisions

As usual, I've been met with the annual onslaught of vocal friends, family members, and other people asking "Why? Why is [pop musician] the winner of the Lou Bega Award?"

I think that, first of all, people don't understand the Lou Bega Award the way Jon and I do. The Lou Bega award goes not to the worst music of the year (because any one of the multitude of Slipknot and Taking Back Sunday ripoffs would win each year). No, the Lou Bega award goes to the song that was intensely popular, but is derivative, boring, annoying, and uncreative.

So while I would have gladly voted for Hinder's "Lips of an Angel"(?) or some song about "Chicken Noodle Soup", had I simply known about them. The thing about the Lou Bega Award is that it needs to be soooo popular, that there is no way I could have missed it.

So the reason we didn't vote for those songs is because I never heard them other than people saying how popular they were.

The reason we didn't vote for Gwen Stefani's new song is because it didn't get popular enough (and believe me, that song is way worse than "It's Goin' Down").

So upon hearing these songs, do I believe that they are worse than Yung Joc's "It's Goin' Down"? The answer is yes. But, the Lou Bega Award goes to the artist which most desecrates the idea of popular music, not worst music of the year. So Yung Joc supporters should be thankful that we're saying he was among the most popular artists of the year. The ruling stands.

2 Comments:

At 11:22 PM GMT-5, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you should reconsider your ruling. im serious.

 
At 3:29 AM GMT-5, Blogger Bill said...

I don't think you understand the Lou Bega award, anonymous.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home