To accompany that best albums of 2005 list, I'm going to post a double-disc mixtape of hot 2005 tracks. If you are a visitor from the year 2004, please listen to this collection of songs... and remember, nowadays it's common knowledge that George Bush doesn't care about black people, so don't feel bad when you say it aloud.
01. The Decemberists - Engine Driver
02. Kanye West - Touch The Sky
03. Kings of Leon - King of the Rodeo
04. Dungen - Festival
How do you pronounce their name "Doon-yen" "Dungeon" "Dung-in"?
05. Augustana - Stars and Boulevards
What can I say? I'm a sucker for radio friendly alt-country.
06. Sleater Kinney - Modern Girl
07. Bear vs. Shark - Entrance of the Elected
I refuse to spell it "bearvsshark". It's a band name, not an AOL screen name.
08. Shook Ones - Bellingham Lads Club
09. Flaming Lips - Mr. Ambulance Driver
10. Dr. Dog - Say Something
11. Bloodhound Gang - Pennsylvania
One of those songs that you have to be in on the joke for. It's funny, trust us.
12. Neon Blonde - Headlines
13. Minus the Bear - Pachuca Sunrise
14. My Morning Jacket - Wordless Chorus
15. Architecture in Helsinki - Maybe You Can Owe Me
16. Islands - Abominable Snow
Not quite as glorious as the Unicorns, but that'll do, pig. That'll do.
17. Sufjan Stevens - Come On! Feel The Illinoise!
18. Animal Collective - Banshea Beat
01. Horse the Band - Soaring Quails
02. Between The Buried and Me - The Primer
03. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - In This Home On Ice
Hate to contribute to the hype (waaaaaaaay overhyped), but this song is good.
04. Antony & The Johnsons - Forest of Love
05. Ris Paul Ric - Purple Blaze
Ex-Q and Not U lead singer solo project.
06. Bloc Party - Blue Light (Engineers "Anti Gravity Remix)
07. Pelican - Autumn Into Summer
08. Three 6 Mafia - Stay Fly
09. The Go! Team - Huddle Formation
10. Hella - Song From Uncle
11. Blusom - The Ticks: Tick, Tock
Random band I found on Second Nature Recordings' website. Really good song.
12. Mountain Goats - Pale Green Things
13. The Game - No More Fun And Games
14. Blacklisted - Crossed Fingers
Picking up where Give Up The Ghost left off.
15. Some Girls - The DNA Will Have It's Say (feat. Karen O.)
Uhh... literally picking up where Give Up The Ghost left off.
16. M83 - Don't Save Us From The Flames
17. Sigur Ros - Glosoli
Song of the year.
Download any of these songs if you are able to. They are good. Also, a little bird told me that a Explosive Bear is uncovering a new tune on Christmas Eve at http://www.myspace.com/explosivebear. I heard it's the best song ever.