Heads On Sticks & Ventriloquists

The prodigious writings of a tortured genius.

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Grey's Anatomy: Good or Bad?

The answer of course is bad.

The badness of Grey's Anatomy is its ability to cull so many different forms of badness into one really bad show. It's bad like The OC is bad, because of the awkward writing, all-too-quick wit and its status as a thinly disguised soap opera on at primetime hours. However, interestingly enough, Grey's Anatomy is able to draw from the badness of CSI as well. This factor being the unlikable characters and the ridiculous plot points throughout. Many people incorrectly cite House M.D. as being CSI-bad, whereas it is actually "later-years-of-The-X-Files-bad" (i.e. it's almost entirely boring but has weird characters and silly things happen every now and again).

Grey's Anatomy suffers from Boston Public syndrome. This is the problem where every terrible/intruiging thing that has happened in any high school ever, manages to happen in just one high school (or in this case, hospital). TV shows use this in an attempt to be socially conscious and insightful. It's a problem that many TV shows have trouble dealing with.

I've seen my fair share of the show Grey's Anatomy, even though I dislike it. "I-don't-like-it-but-I-still-watch-it-for-some-reason" is probably a large demographic for the show. This is especially true for any male that watches the show; they want to appear to be tough and manly, not like pussies who watch Grey's Anatomy. I'm not a regular viewer, but you can pretty much figure out what's been going on throughout the entire series after 5 minutes of any episode.

It's possible that the show has entirely unlikable characters on purpose, to have us relate to their flaws and then come to like them (i.e. The Sopranos, Curb Your Enthusiasm), but I don't believe this is true.

The show is aptly named, because there probably isn't a person on the show who hasn't seen Grey's anatomy. She has slept with just about every male character (that isn't black or the white guy who's a dick) and the show's only been on for like 2 and half years. Maybe I'm just a prude.

And hey, can we talk about that crazy blonde chick who Doctor-patient romance is always an exciting route to take in drama, and no one can blame them for their feelings... but killed her crippled boyfriend?! We can't blame them for their feelings for each other... but damn, bitch is crazy! She steals some sort of transplant from a more deserving patient and gives it to her man, but the harshness of the whole procedure kills the dude. Keep in mind that this most likely resulted in the death of the other patient as well. And you know what, this is fine. I have no problem with that storyline, it's good drama.

The problem however, lies in the fact that this girl still works at the hospital. Come on! I've been trying really hard to suspend disbelief after so many ridiculous situations throughout this show (e.g. a live bomb inside a man), but now I have to work extra hard to convince myself that through some loophole she wouldn't be in jail.

The problems continue when the head surgeon gets shot and then has some sort of nervous tic in his hand. Again, he's a surgeon, so he should probably tell someone so he doesn't, y'know, kill someone. Now, I'll give this man the benefit of the doubt, because I know nothing about his backstory. Let's assume that he didn't come from an affluent family that had a great deal of common sense. Let's assume that he wasn't actually smart enough to get into medical school and somehow faked his way into being head surgeon. Let's assume that he's a giant dumbass. Maybe that's why he didn't tell anyone about his little tic, and continued operating on a bunch of dudes. Even with all those excuses, after he got caught, he should've gotten fired.

So, the real problem with Grey's Anatomy is that no one gets fired.

7 Comments:

At 3:40 PM GMT-5, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The presentation of info on here is great. Just a word to the smart: It's worth it to spend time to look at
billboards, high circulation newspapers, books or
magazines and other media that use nice layout. it will improve your eye for details .

 
At 2:09 AM GMT-5, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does it really make sense to get a dual masters degree?
Is that truly going to let me hone in and win in both business and areas more relevant to what goes on here?

 
At 6:30 PM GMT-5, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To salute individuals who have done a big favor to the human race by eliminating themselves from it, the Darwin awards hold a special place in my heart. If you are into black humor and have not read about these insane awards
you owe it to yourself to see them: google "darwin awards" and you'll feel like the smartest student ever!

 
At 12:53 AM GMT-5, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a womanthat's worked in the airline
industry, I can say that some of the most ridiculous foolish guidelines
and advice given during flights. I'm curiouswhat sites you folkshave run across in
your specific industry which quotes similarly inane public speaking.

 
At 7:16 AM GMT-5, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Has anyone here at wevegotheadsonsticks.blogspot.com ever heard of these credit repair books?
I need advice quick to fix my credit report

credit Book
credir report repair
credit E-book
Credit repair guide
credit Book
Credit repair
credit E-book

supposedly these books are the best
I was searching through google for as much as 2 hours

thanks everyone at wevegotheadsonsticks.blogspot.com I hope im not off topic. I tried.
Later

 
At 5:17 PM GMT-5, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was having one of those facial procedures in our town clinic last month. And while waiting for my turn, I tried to engage myself with the magazines
Then I heard these two girls talking to each other and I couldn't contain my laughter. The first girl exclaimed, "you know what, I look at myself for a long time in the mirror each day, and I really appreciate what I see. Do you think I'm vain?" The other girl smiled sweetly and uttered, "I think you're imaginative."

 
At 5:45 PM GMT-5, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In a small town of northwestern of Ontario, where I grew up, the community decided to opt for proper waste conduct. Therefore they had this permanent worker to handle the garbage segregation each day.

But the drawback of this was having the dump closed for some hours during the night.

To this, the one to whom we sold our home, didn't hesitate to comment, "You know this town is a bit weird. People hardly lock their homes or cars.but they lock their garbage dump!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home